Wednesday, November 19, 2008

It's that time again

It's time for xmas knitting!

This year I have LOTS to make, and almost no time to spare. Right now I've got a 12 hour workday during the week, including my commute, which means I'm gone from 7:30 in the morning to 7:30 at night most weekdays (excluding today, because I'm off work) So, knitting time is a bit limited. But it's still mid-November and I am confident that I will somehow pull this off.

First, the biggest project. I am 1 skien into my dad's annual Christmas Sweater.

This year it's red and cable-y. The yarn is Knitpicks Telemark (as it is every year) in Garnet Heather. For the first time it's a sweater of my own design, rather than from a pattern. It's kind of unfortunate, because my dad's sweater is usually the only thing I knit from a pattern during the whole winter season, it's a big project and a chance to turn my mind off and just follow someone's instructions. But not this year.

Oh well, I guess I'll either be terribly proud of myself in a few weeks when it all comes together, or things will just be plain terrible. This is why I tried to start early.

I am also pretty happy to have my first (99%) completed project--i still have to weave in the two ends--it's Cathy's blue flame scarf, for my boyfriend's mother (my not-quite-MIL)


This is a lace pattern modified from the "Candlelight" pattern in The Encyclopedia of Knitting. I kind of want to keep it, but I will not, because I really don't know what I would get NQMIL. She and my NQFIL (not-quite-father-in-law) are notoriously hard to shop for. So I am making things that cannot be returnedd to the store.
But even if you could return this, would you?

I think not.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I love Cathy's scarf...it's very lovely and the color will look beautiful on her.