Saturday, May 26, 2007

Oops!

Lately I have been working very hard on two big projects which are left over from when it wasn't so unseasonably warm outside.

First the Imbolc sweater: baby alpaca is pretty hot to be knitting on Memorial day weekend but I am knitting it nonetheless. I'm knitting because I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel--I have the front, the back, and one sleeve all knitted and sewn together, and now it's onto the final sleeve.


Look how close to done I am! I can't give up because of the weather. I must knit on.

I had intended to continue valiantly knitting on my dollar-and-a-half cardigan, as well. But it's made of sport weight merino, which is heavier than the alpaca, and it's a lot further away from being done.


I tried to hurry myself along by casting on both fronts at the same time. I sometimes do this with sleeves, especially if I am designing or changing them so that they are knit the same. However, the fronts of this cardigan are meant to be different. See the cable on the left? see horizontal stripes on the right? Turns out that it doesn't make it quicker to knit fronts together if they're totally different.

I really wanted to knock off both big projects before the weather got all muggy, especially because my yarn stash space is severely limited right now and these two projects take up a lot of space. That's also why I've been on a pretty strict yarn diet for the past month and a half.

That is, until Friday, when I happened upon a little yarn shop in Broad Ripple while on lunch (I think the yarn was calling to me.) Turns out it was a shop that was going out of business, and had everything 40% off. I may or may not have gone back from lunch late while I was trying to restrain myself from blowing my whole paycheck on yarn. I finally talked myself out of a few bags of cashmerino and half a dozen self-striping sock yarns by reasoning that there was enough yarn for me to come back at the end of June, when I was told everything would be 80% off.

But I couldn't leave empty handed.


This is Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere (85% summery, breathable cotton, 15% soft, scrumptious cashmere--it seems just right for a slightly dressy, slightly flirty summery tank.) I haven't decided just what it's going to look like yet, but it will be good.

No comments: