Thursday, November 02, 2006

A Long Week

It has, indeed, been a long week since the last post. There is a lot of work to be done in the days before the polls open, and I'm right in the middle of it. I've had one of my directors, Leigh-anne, stay with me the past two days, and though I like having her around, it did put me in a bit of a flurry when she called me as I was leaving for work this Tuesday to tell me she was getting on a plane to come see me. My house is messy, it is not suitable for guests.

So, long weeks both ahead of and behind me, I was pleased when I arrived home from work today and found these on my doorstep:
A fittingly dorky assortment just ahead of the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. It includes America's Constitution: A Biography by Akhil Reed Amar. Robert's Rules of Order, and The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States of America a pocket edition from the Cato institute. Also, not quite as fittingly, but just as highly desired is In the Beginning: A New Interpretation of Genesis by Karen Armstrong.

I love reading everything that Karen Armstrong writes.

Conspicuously absent from my recent round of purchases are any books on the subject of knitting. I think I've mentioned before how little I care for the conventions of knitting from a pattern. Thus, I own fewer than normal knitting books (or, you know, more than normal, since most people I know haven't any. But less than usual for a knitter.) Despite a dearth of bibliographic resources, I have still managed to accomplishe a suitable amount of knitting for the week:

Fairly stubborn sock #1 finished. I always force myself to cast on the new sock in the same sitting as when I graft shut the toe of the first. Its a rather superstitious effort to avoid the evils of second-sock syndrome, whereby one must eternally wear mismatched socks, for not having the sticktoitiveness to have made a matching pair. Sadly, the strength of second-sock syndrome is an evil beyond my puny powers of resistance. Though this photograph was taken on Monday, there has been no discernable progress in what we can barely call stubborn sock #2.

I have, instead, abandoned it for this slip of a lacey scarf:

The pattern is culled from Eunny's print o' the waves stole. This photograph, also taken earlier in the week, does not reflect the current state of the scarf. I have approximately two feet of scarf thus far, but I am not pinning it out again to take another picture. You'll just have to imagine that there's more than there is, and I'll take another picture for you on Saturday when the light in my apartment is nicer.

There will likely be little knitting progress this week. I've reserved a portion of Saturday for sitting quietly with my knitting, and I have a work sock in my bag to get me through the truly rough times.

No comments: